Everyone gets down sometimes. Yes, even me!
When those inevitable times happen, you need to do a manual reset and get back on track. No one can do that for you. It is something each individual had to do for themselves.
Now, I’m not talking about those who are struggling with depression. If you think you have a real problem with depression and it’s not just a “down in the dumps” temporary situation, then I encourage you to get professional help. There is no shame in asking for and receiving help to get yourself back on track.
What I’m talking about is when you have the negative self-talk that makes you feel you cannot do what those around you are doing. The temporary self-doubt that sidelines you when you are working toward a better life.
So, how do you stay positive in those situations? Here are 10 quick tips to help you!
1. Pray and meditate – I know many of you will say the two are entirely different things and you’re right! They are! I am reading one of John Maxwell’s leadership books right now and he states he looks at prayer as talking to God about life and then he meditates to listen to what God has to say.
Don’t just always ask, ask, ask and never listen. Take the time to be still and listen for God’s inspiration to what you’ve been talking to Him about in prayer.
2. Smile – The simple act of smiling, even when you don’t feel like it, has tremendous power. The more you smile, the more you want to smile and by smiling at others, you may be helping someone else’s day get better as well.
3. Keep positive people around you – How many times have you heard that you are sum of the 5 people you spend the most time with? Who are you spending time with? Are they negative people? Godly people? Happy people? Positive people? Surround yourself with people who are happy, positive and Godly and you cannot go wrong!
4. Change the tone of your thoughts – In today’s Daily Vitamin for the Soul I posted a snapshot of a poster a teacher made for her class. Instead of thinking in a negative way, try thinking a positive thought instead.
5. Stop playing the victim and start taking responsibility for your choices – This is YOUR life and you are a product of the choices you have made. Sure, some people are born with the proverbial “silver spoon,” most are not. There are circumstances and obstacles to be overcome for all of us. Don’t use them as an excuse as to why you can’t do or be something.
6. Help someone else – Stop focusing so much on yourself and help someone who needs it more than you do. There is always someone who is less fortunate than you are. Do something to help them and remind yourself of how good your life really is.
7. Don’t beat yourself up – No one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. If you’ve made a mistake, figure out what lesson can be learned from it and move on.
8. Try singing … even if you sing off key – Singing can lift your spirits and make you feel better. Just make sure it’s an uplifting song. This morning, I could not keep the theme song from my kids current favorite cartoon, “Steven Universe” out of my head. You can listen to it here. I love that song. It makes me happy. Find a song you love and sing it if you’re feeling down. BTW – Sing it at the top of your lungs and smile while you sing!
9. Make a list of the top 5 things you’re grateful for – Write them down and think on them. Gratitude is one of the best devices you can use to not only make you feel more positive, but it will also help you head toward a more successful life as well.
10. Read positive blogs and quotes – Fill your mind with positive quotes, Bible verses and read positive books and blogs. Fill your mind with all things positive and you will find your life will follow.
I hope these suggestions will help you live a happier, healthier and more abundant life! Stay positive my friends!